When I say EGO, do you guys get what it actually means? For psychology students, what instantly comes to mind will be Freud’s definition of Ego which is the realistic part of the mind. The Ego does not let you overindulge in your pleasures but also does not allow you to be too perfect either.It actually looks like an iceberg because the EGO is the mediator.
However, the ego I am talking about is actually more towards the layman’s term of egoistic! I am writing this post from the perspective of daily encounters be it in a relationship, friendship and even business. Trust me, a lot of men out there are very egoistic especially when they are dealing with women in a business. Here are a few examples for GUYS and even egoistic women to take note off:
1. Ego destroy relationships because the egoistic party always want to WIN! When tempers flare, they always argue with you until the cows come home and exert their right over the whole relationship. You know when a person is ego when the person finds it hard to say these words during an argument “I am SORRY”
2. Ego affects business relationships as well. How I know this? Because I just had my first encounter recently. My mom use to be exasperated with the people she meets, especially men when some of them don’t even look her in the eye when they talk, they merely look at her business partner who is a guy! And they call this the age of equality? (yea right) My encounter on the other hand was when the guy tried to ego-talk me stating that he was right when he was clearly being extremely illogical……
3. Ego affects friendships as well. How it affects is clearly seen when two parties(many times guys) stop contacting one another over a simple thing such as heading out with another group of friends when he told his good friend he wasn’t going out. The best part is both guys don’t ask each other what’s wrong, they just start snubbing one another. For goodness sake, it actually happened to my father and his friend as well….sigh…
These are merely the few examples I am giving of EGO, I haven’t even touch on how ego leads to road rage. Most importantly, the person has to ADMIT that they have an ego problem before they can move forward and try to rectify things. Why not be rational and actually use what Freud defined. Once you let your ego over-rule you, it usually turns out NASTY! However, if you calm down and think it through, things won’t escalate into arguments or lost relationships or business.
- Example of EGO getting the best of you
I know this because I was given a jolt myself when Ben told me I was quite “ego” because I couldn’t back down from an argument. I always pride myself for being rational but what I didn’t realize was that it was very difficult for me to swallow my pride and admit that I was wrong. Although I am patient and don’t have a temper, but when I see ego thrown at me, I retaliate which is so NOT GOOD! Hence, I am trying to learn to better myself not only in a relationship but for business as well. I can’t fathom the thought of me throwing ego at a business partner and ruining things…..can you?
- After ego-ing, apologies in a picture is usually sent with chocolates!lol
So, just a thought for you guys who have a huge EGO…time to address that part of you before you let it overtake everything in your life..